Saturday, June 21, 2008

Does Doctor Have Killing License?

I was upset when our Deputy MOH claimed that doctors actually "have the license to kill". Well, may be he tried to say that doctors may have the right to decide when to stop resuscitation (which does not equal to "killing" someone) when they feel the chance of survival is dim. However, this doesn't mean that doctor has the "killing license" to cover his negligence upon patient's death.
As a doctor, I've encountered many death which sometime I/my colleagues suggest to family members for No Active Resuscitation as the prognosis was poor. Sometime they agree, sometime they don't. However, so far I haven't encounter any miracle, all passed away inevitalby.
Sometime, I learn from previoius patient's death and choose another type of treatment when encounter similar clinical picture and sometime the patient survived. The previous death do help me to improve my judgement to handle similar problems in the journey of practising medicine. However, I wouldn't agree that this is so called " Killing License".
So, do u think that doctors have killing license? Share with me please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course there is killing license for a doctor. But sometime I do thin the patient nowadays are way to smart than the patient's before until they sue the doctor even it may not be the doctor's fault.

However, there is also doctor who is irresponsible and not ethical as such where they provide expensive treatment in order to get high profit instead of providing the most suitable one for them.

Glad to hear your view, koko

Anonymous said...

sorry i meant there is NO killing license for doctors.